North Carolina is a leader when it comes to new solar development. With projects ranging from 1kW
residential rooftop systems to 10MW solar farms, the detail surrounding these projects can vary widely.
As such, the North Carolina Municipal Power Agency (NCMPA1) and the City of Gastonia are working together
to provide a smooth process for completing your solar PV project.
With a Buy All/Sell All approach, we promote solar PV projects that connect safely to our grid while also ensuring
a fair cost distribution among all rate payers.
General Information by Project Size
The appropriate steps for any solar PV project will vary depending upon size and projected system impact.
The following guidelines are offered to help with your project.
- Request (email@example.com) and complete the appropriate Interconnection Application.
- Submit IRS W-9 as energy credits are considered taxable income.
- Upon acceptance by the City of Gastonia, the Interconnection Agreement is signed by both parties.
- Obtain local permits for the related work from the City's Permitting Department (704.866.6729).
- Work with installer to ensure that your generator is properly registered and all appropriate forms have been completed.
Once the project is complete, a Certificate of Completion and Acceptance is issued by the City of Gastonia.
General Notes for All Systems
The City of Gastonia reserves the right to require further study, including but not limited to system feasibility and system impact. The cost of these studies and any subsequent utility system upgrades will be the responsibility of the solar PV system owner.
The system owner will be responsible for all work and associated equipment purchases. Typical expenses will include a second meter, permit costs, and any work related to utility system interconnection. Interconnection Agreements must be executed before construction begins.
Since solar credits are considered income by the IRS, consult with your tax advisor.
Assistant Division Manager Electric Division
(PO Box 1748, Gastonia, NC 28053-1748)